Under the Sun
Kicking things off for summer is our first theme: Under the Sun! As we welcome back the warm sunshine, we’re focusing on the animals that live under the sun – in the jungles, rainforests, and deserts of the world.
King or Queen of the Jungle?
The lioness is a superior hunter because she is better at sneaking up on her prey – she is nimble, stealthy, and her fur blends into the grass (a lion’s mane makes him easier to spot).
Lionesses are also faster and can reach speeds of up to 50 miles per hour – woah!
Sensory Play: Build Your Own Rainforest!
Want to feel like you’re exploring the leafy rainforests of the Amazon with all its beautiful wild animals? This easy-to-make craft will transport you there in no time.
Added bonus: it’s a great place to store your miniature animal toys!
You will need:
- Decorate the box: Color your own rainforest design on construction paper, cut it to size, and glue it to cover your cardboard box. You could also find a leafy background online like we did!
- Go green: Grab some artificial leaves and moss (or pick your own from outside)
- Add some water: Use marbles to create a stream, adding your rocks around it. You can hold everything in place with the clay
- Mix textures together: Bend your pipe cleaners to create tree branches, and add the soil underneath for a different texture
- Gather your animals: There are lots of different animals in the Jungle World bucket, including a giraffe, zebra, and elephant. Bring them all together in your Terra universe!
Cold Blood, Warm Climate
Reptiles – including slithery snakes, lively lizards, and crawling crocodiles – are covered in a scaly skin, which protects them from rough surfaces and the harmful UV rays of the sun.
They shed this skin a few times a year and grow a fresh one, like a brand-new coat!